Monday, December 10, 2012

Winter Challenges



Back when I was first researching FoodCorps sites in Oregon, I skimmed the paragraph on North Powder, laughed and said, “Hell, no!”
Once I read through the sites in more detail, however, the main reason which made me laugh was the thing that brought me here in the end. I knew from my Montana experience that I was uniquely qualified to live- and thrive in- a small, isolated community.
My placement here has been a fantastic success and I’m having a blast, which means that encountering new challenges has been a disorienting surprise.
This weekend I was supposed to attend a FoodCorps Oregon training in Tillamook, but I couldn’t make it across the Blue Mountains thanks to a heavy snowfall. I joined my peers through conference calls and Skype, which was helpful but also a harsh reminder of how isolated I am out here, and just how long winter is going to be.
 I’ve coped by baking an inappropriate amount of cookies and cupcakes for a healthy food educator, and I’m also lucky to have a high-maintenance dog that constantly needs to be walked or taken to the vet (she’s currently healthy).
Although it is hard living in such an isolated place, I am grateful when I remember all of the advantages I have that Montana lacked: a wonderful supervisor, supportive and friendly colleagues, a fantastic housemate, a puppy and a working heater. These are all things that will make this winter much more enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment