Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The End (For the Moment!)



The scent of basil wafts across the playground, and I also smell onions. The smell isn’t coming from the kitchen, but instead from the happy group of kids sitting next to the garden. With a single day left in my term of service, I am doing my best to reduce the size of the garden to a manageable size, so the kids have been harvesting everything that can be picked (which is basil and onions). 

Everyone loves raw kale (who would have guessed?)
Eating raw onions has been as popular as the strawberries, both of which disappeared instantly. Other plants have fared the same Our single, somewhat sad kale plant looks like deer have been at it, when in fact it has become a favorite of the six year old boys.

When you can't find a watering can...

I no longer spend hours watering by myself, because throughout the day I am deluged with offers of help. When a watering can goes missing, I simply shout "whoever finds it gets an onion," and two minutes later the can is found.
Munching on basil


Every day when I head outside I am met by eager kids ready to garden, whether it be counting ants or picking onions or following the expanding reach of our zucchini plants.




I have had more fun working here than I ever imagined or expected I could. With extremely limited resources, we not only built a garden, but these kids got the chance to do something that they have never seen before. And, as far as I can tell, they love it!

I haven't had the time I need to really reflect on this past year, so here are some photos to show just how much fun we have had in my final days at the Boys & Girls Club!

When the onions are gone, there's room for digging in the dirt! 
Goofing around
Our gorgeous pumpkin blossom
More kale!
Friends.


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Anina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see the pictures of the kids! Surrounded by all the earthly wonders - soil and water and plants and friends. So much better than video. Good work!

    ReplyDelete