Friday, January 6, 2012

What's This All About, Again?

It’s 2012, and I’m back in Forsyth ready to get to work! Two weeks at home have me refreshed and re-energized for the the challenge of promoting new perspectives on food in this community. Even with my renewed energy, however, I can’t ignore how hard it has been to introduce the value of eating local and healthy so far. At times I definitely have a lurking suspicion that I’m not making a difference. Despite my successes, I’m not changing anyone’s mind, even the people with whom I engage in discussion most often.

Because of the isolation of my service area and the fact that what I’m suggesting is so foreign, people struggle to see the incentive for making these lifestyle changes. No one wants to hear why they should pass by processed foods in favor of fresh produce or spend the extra time cooking a meal rather than using the microwave. No matter what I say, I can’t convince them of the positive benefits these practices could have upon their bodies (and quality of life!). Whether it’s because I’m young and blonde or a little too liberal for this area, I’m not getting through.

Walking to work this morning, I had a revelation.

I passionately believe in the ideas that I’m trying to teach, and I feel responsible for sharing this knowledge with others. I’ve worked hard to discuss my ideas and the reasons behind them. I hope that by doing this, community members don’t feel like I’m forcing anything upon them, and might learn something which makes them reconsider their own eating or purchasing tendencies.

My revelation this morning was that this doesn’t work. People have their set habits and beliefs about food, and no argument I come up with is going to induce them to change. If they alter the way they eat, it will be because of a personal decision to do so, and not through anything I said. Although I would never say I’ve been wasting my time, I realize now that my efforts can be better spent elsewhere.

Thus, for the New Year I resolve to go straight to the students. The excitement I’ve seen in first graders learning to compost, seventh graders planting tomatoes, and high schoolers building compost bins shows me that these kids are where the changes will happen. Open-minded students listen to what I have to say, and test these ideas for themselves to see if they're true. This is, of course, why FoodCorps works with schools instead of other institutions. Perhaps it is a little obtuse of me to only figure this out now, but I argue that there’s so much to do in these communities that it’s hard to maintain a narrow focus.

Granted; to reach the students there are a couple of adults that I will have to go through. But now I know I don’t need to win them over. I will simply work to educate the people who are most open to it, who right now are the students.

I’m going to have to step up and take more authority for the projects I want to enact. Instead of waiting around for consensus among the powers that be, I’m simply going to ask for permission and get to work. This will demand significantly more effort, but the chance to get my hands dirty instead of making endless suggestions is all the incentive I need. I’ll continue to coordinate with the administration, but I’m going to stop worrying about us being on the same page. If I’m lucky, students will go home and share with their parents the fun they had gardening, or composting, or harvesting, and perhaps encourage their families to reevaluate their food choices. I’m not the one who’s going to change any minds, so I’m going to dedicate my energy to the people who can: the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment