Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What I'm Thankful For


This week is Thanksgiving, and with the (very cold) winter having already arrived, I have had plenty of time to review what I am thankful for this year. The last several months have been ones of transitions and challenges, but have provided me with an ample list of things to be grateful for. Though eastern Montana can be bizarre and lonely at times, I am so glad to be having this wonderful experience.

I am thankful for this crazy adventure that FoodCorps is taking me on. When I graduated from Earlham, I never envisioned myself playing pool with toothless bikers or walking to work every day through the scent of smoking venison, but here I am. FoodCorps came along just when I figured out what I wanted to do for a career, and made it happen faster than I could ever have imagined. At a time when many people are struggling to find jobs, I know how privileged I am to have work doing something I believe so passionately in.


I am thankful for the new friends I have in my fellow FoodCorps volunteers, and for the other AmeriCorps and Montana friends I am making all over the state. It’s wonderful to be reminded of how strong activism is across the state when it is easy for my efforts to feel defeated in Forsyth.

Although I will be spending Thanksgiving this year in Missoula with old and new friends, I am thankful for my family back in Oregon, and I will be missing the delicious food, absurd toasts and high-decibel chaos I am sure will ensue.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member (blog follower)

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for having children who, as young adults, are actively helping to address the needs of their communities, and doing so with care and compassion. It gives me great hope for the future that their generation has thus far shown such great commitment to community service and to improving the welfare of others!

    ReplyDelete